05 February, 2006

Sea bass 海鱸(不是海中男低音)


Sea bass is one of my favourite fish that is not difficult to purchase here in Brighton. This tasty white meat fish reminds me of the subtle sweetness and fine texture that a fish should possess - after four-year's restricting myself to mackerel and salmon (particularly head!) for budget reason.
Actually, not far from Brighton there is a fish market where you can buy tons of fresh caught fish in daily basis. But the traffic is a hassle for some people - like me - who do not have a car. So I would go for the monthly Farmer's Market near my flat instead. It has a small but decent fish stand with various fresh sea food choice. (They even got shark's fin! Hmm... am wondering shall I try it some day...?)
Today, I bought the sea bass from a friendly lady.
"Can I have a sea bass and a mackerel, please?"
"Head off?"
"No, no; just gut."
A Far-East-Asia-fresh-fish-eater would never ask to cut a fish-head off. I thought.
After taking the fish home, I took the gills and cleaned off the scales myself. It's quite a different convention how people sell fish here compared to it is in Taiwan. Even fish fillets in the supermarket here are all with scales. Luckly, I had learned the basic skills of cleaning a fish in a Taiwanese manner since I was twelve. My family used to go river fishing in the weekend and we had to do lots of fish cleaning afterwards. Gut, clean off the scales and gills. Compare to the works for lots of small fish, to deal with a large one is easy and satisfactory, really!
Now the fish stays peacefully in the fridge. The next step would be to think about how to transform the FISH into a delicious DISH...

This Farmer's Market is only one-minute walk away from Hove railway station. It opens from 10am on the first Sunday every month.

No comments: